Network Monitor is a diagnostic tool which periodically tests your network connection and logs the results to a database on the phone. It tests the connection by retrieving the main Google page (https://www.google.com) in two different ways:
- An HTTP connection (the type of connection used by the browser and other web apps)
- A basic socket connection (a type of connection used by other apps)
It also logs other information about your device and connection status, such as:
- The network type (WiFi, mobile/EDGE, mobile/HSPA, etc)
- The WiFi SSID or APN
- The device's location (latitude, longitude)
- The cell tower's ids
- The signal strength (from 0 to 4)
- Other information...
You can send yourself a report of the collected data, in several formats (Excel, CSV, HTML, KML, the raw database). The report will also contain a summary of the success rate of the connection tests, per cell tower and WiFi access point.
- WARNING: This app is a diagnostic/debugging app which may use a lot of battery and data.